Robert Williams Estate Agents, Exeter

We’re thrilled to announce that we’ll be taking our client’s homes directly to potential buyers in London and the Southeast later on this month, at the Experts in Property’s next Westcountry Property Exhibition.

As a member of the Experts in Property network of independent estate agents, we’re joining together with around 60 other offices spread across Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset and Bristol, to showcase our ‘wares’ at the event, which is set to take place at The Mitre Hampton Court on Thursday 26th October.

Collectively, on a daily basis, we provide exceptional, unrivalled, shared marketing power for our properties to reach more buyers, both in-office and online – every property we have for sale features in the search results on all 60+ websites as well as the main property portals and the dedicated hub for Westcountry property, The finest homes (not just categorised by price) also feature on

As an effective super-agency, we’re collaborating to host the forthcoming exhibition, which in the past has attracted potential buyers from all over the Southeast, the south coast and the Home Counties.

Some of us are making the trip to the boutique hotel to meet potential buyers, chat with them about our region and match properties from across the network to their needs and requirements.

Around 50% of those migrating to our region from other places come from London and the Southeast, so if you’re thinking of selling, or even switching agents, now is a great time to get your property taken directly to this market. You could be moved by Christmas!

To find out more or to arrange a valuation of your property without obligation, get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.

Graham answers a question from a buyer...

A: The agent you are dealing with is absolutely right in asking to see proof of your financial position. The relevant section of The Property Ombudsman’s Code of Conduct states that the agent must take all reasonable steps to establish the source and availability of a prospective buyer’s funds - and pass this information to the seller - so if he didn’t, he would actually be in breach of the Code and if the sale subsequently fell through over money matters, his client would have legitimate grounds for complaint.

You are under no obligation to disclose this information if you don’t want to. However, the agent would then have no choice but to tell his client that your financial position couldn’t be confirmed. Ultimately, it is the seller’s decision whether or not to accept any offers, but the agent would be doing less than his duty if he didn’t recommend an appropriate course of action. If the seller wanted to accept your offer, the agent might well suggest for example, that he continues to actively market the property until appropriate reassurance was established. 

Of course, your reluctance to reveal such details at such an early stage of negotiations is perfectly understandable. However, the sale is unlikely to go anywhere until you do – except on the kind of conditional basis above.

Get involved - ask Graham a question! Message us, email us or give us a call.


In this article, Graham answers a question from a seller. And the answer is...

A: Your estate agent will advertise your house, make sure that the details are seen by potential buyers and arrange and attend viewing appointments but yes, there are a few things you can do to help the process to a speedy completion with minimal stress...

  • Presentation for viewings - Generally speaking, a well-presented house smells fresh and is clean and tidy with worktops free of washing up, etc. Your agent may advise you on specific points to take it a little further – perhaps with some de-cluttering or a little redecoration – it is of course up to you to put this advice into action.
  • Leave viewings to the agents – Try to be out when viewings take place. It may be useful for prospective purchasers to know how easy the neighbours are to get along with, but owners also tend to point out things they would change if they were to stay, which can then come across as negative however unintended or well-meant.
  • Instruct a solicitor/conveyancer as soon as possible. This way, any pre-sale paperwork can be done in preparation so once a buyer is found it’ll be all systems go for the quickest possible transaction timescale.
  • Your solicitor/conveyancer will need some documents from you, so dig out and gather together information such as proof of identities, guarantees and details of work carried out at the property, paperwork on issues such as subsidence and additional insurances, etc. The earlier your legal representative has these, the earlier they can start to prepare the necessary legal documents for a sale.
  • Reading and responding quickly to requests from lenders, legal companies and estate agents will help things move along swiftly.
  • And if you plan to use a removal company, get quotes early on – the last thing you want is to have to rush around at the last minute to find a removal company, only to find that you’ve been charged over the odds!

 If you'd like to ask Graham a question, message us, email us or give us a call!

We are elated to have been shortlisted in the 2023 allAgents Customer Experience Awards, for no less than four awards:

- Best Estate Agent for Exeter

- Best Lettings Agent for Exeter

- Best Estate Agent for EX1 postcode area

- Best Lettings Agent for EX1 postcode area

The allAgents Customer Experience Awards is the UK's largest awards scheme for the property industry, and it's alll based on actual customer reviews.

Will we win all 4 awards? We've got to wait until Friday 1st December to find out!