Robert Williams Estate Agents, Exeter

It’s great to be prepared with this, as it will avoid delays during the legal process.

Once you’ve found a conveyancer to handle your sale, they will ask you to complete a Property Information Form (TA6). For leasehold properties, there will also be a TA7 form. The information required is similar to that on an estate agent’s Property Information Questionnaire. You must complete these as honestly and accurately as possible with special attention to any ‘material facts’, which include things like a tendency to flooding, non-standard construction, party wall agreements, or anything else that may have a major impact on whether a buyer decides to purchase your home.

You’ll need some ID – by law this is required under Anti-Money Laundering regulations.

Next up, your Land Registry Title Deeds. If you can’t find your paper copies, check if your solicitor or lender has them. Alternatively, Land Registry holds digital records of most land and property so you should be able to order them online. The deeds are made up of a Title Register and a Title Plan, which you can order individually, or as part of a Comprehensive Pack, which also contains other documents and costs around £50. If your property isn’t registered, your conveyancer will need to apply for a first registration.

Your property can’t legally be marketed for sale without an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate). Your estate agent will normally arrange that for you as part of their service.

If your property is leasehold, you’ll need the lease and other documents relating to the service charges, buildings insurance, freeholder and managing agent information, etc. If yours has less than 80 years to run, you could look at extending it. Your conveyancer will help you with that.

If your property is under 10 years old, you’ll need your NHBC warranty documents.

If your property has undergone structural changes then you’ll need to evidence the planning permission and Building Regulations certificates, or indemnity policy documents.

And lastly, certification or warranties for any other alterations to the property, such as a gas safety certificate, an Electrical Installation Condition Report, and FENSA or CERTASS certification for windows, along with receipts or warranties for other work undertaken.

Gather all this together and you should be ‘sale ready’. Good luck and if you have any other questions, just give us a call on 01392 204800.

Vouch Tenancy Deposit Scheme The Property Ombudsman RICS Rightmove Zoopla OnTheMarket Prime Location