Your estate agent will advertise your house, make sure that the details are seen by potential buyers and arrange and attend viewing appointments but yes, there are actually a few things you can do to help the process to a speedy completion with minimal stress.
- Presentation for viewings
- Generally speaking, a well-presented house smells fresh and is clean and tidy with worktops free of washing up, etc. Your agent may advise you on specific points to take it a little further – perhaps with a bit of de-cluttering or a little redecoration. It is of course up to you to put this advice into action but be aware, it can have a significant impact upon the final price you achieve for your home.
- Leave viewings to the agents
- Try to be out when viewings take place. It may well be useful for prospective purchasers to know how easy the neighbours are to get along with but owners also tend to point out things they would change if they were to stay, which can then come across as negative however unintended or well-meant. Your agent can answer most questions and if they can't, will simply ask you and let the viewers know.
- Instruct a solicitor/conveyancer as soon as possible
- This way, any pre-sale paperwork can be done in preparation so once a buyer is found it’ll be all systems go for the quickest possible transaction timescale. The Experts in Property network offer local and fixed fee, no sale-no fee conveyancing services so if the property doesn’t sell after all, there is no fee to pay.
- Get your documents ready
- In order for your solicitor/conveyancer to take action, they’ll need some documents from you so dig out and gather together information such as proof of identities, guarantees and details of work carried out at the property, paperwork on issues such as subsidence and additional insurances, etc. The earlier your legal representative has these, the earlier they can start to prepare the necessary legal documents for a sale.
- In addition, put time aside to read and respond quickly to requests from lenders, legal companies and estate agents, to help things move swiftly towards completion
- Get quotes from removal companies early on
- The last thing you want when selling your home is to have to rush around at the last minute to find a removal company, only to find that you’ve been charged over the odds.
We have produced a series of quick tips for you to learn more about this very topic.